We had a full and busy half term with Marvellous Machines, Anglo-Saxon horn-blowing and grisly tales, baby cousin munching, big cousin missing and cousin-to-be showering, much needed family time, the tentative start of de-cluttering, much leafleting for the Handmade fair, some weed-pulling, a wee bit of film-making, a couple of days of “proper” work, crisp packet shrinking, and I managed to cram a little bit of crafting in there too!
I was most excited about trying to do some projects that I had been keen to try for months, but never quite got round to, like re-igniting the resin obsession last experienced by my sister and me around 1989, almost knocked out by the fumes in the non-ventilated garage at our family home involving love heart sweets and lots of glitter. Roll on 25 years and there’s still plenty of glitter and candy based goodness to be encapsulated for posterity in clear plastic!
The smell was instantly recognisable and snapped me back to the days of the Wonderstuff and dressing in my granddad’s old PJs quicker than you can say “my bloody valentine!” My experiments can be viewed in the pics below and I look forward to trying a few more variables before next weekend’s Bearwood Handmade fair. Bloody love a bit of resin, me. Right naive, but happy.
Then I moved on to the tape measure rosette – again, something I figured I would be born to do, given my obsession with measuring my figure and sewing. Not as straight forward as I had envisaged, but quite chuffed with the end result.
Then came the flexi purses. Ah, the flexi purses! Unswayed by the fact the tutorial referred to a purse frame wider than those I had procured, I ploughed ahead, wildly unmatched thread in top and bottom of the machine and, cheered by the fabulous snippets of fabric I was using, discovered upon thrusting the holding pin into the frame with a triumphant flourish that I hadn’t sewn across the bottom of the casing, so the frame was disappearing down into the purse. And it was a bit wide for the frame to boot.. So after some tweaks to the pattern (on the back of a piece of card from the Book People box – reduce, reuse, recycle!) I managed to turn out a slightly neater looking version (even if I still made the same mistake I made on the first one by sewing the wrong seam first….again). So I hacked into the initial frame and rehashed it and added a new frame. Head pounding and feeling very sick at 1.30am, I called it a night!
My last good idea of the week came late Sunday afternoon and was inspired by the alphabet beads I was using in some of the resin hearts. I have long been an advocate for id bracelets with parents’ phone numbers on for the kids whenever we were at events or large spaces (like the Botanical Gardens, Picnic in the Park, Shuffle etc). Now they’re growing up, those reflective plastic bands are too small and too UNCOOL! So I threaded the requisite number beads and some lovely turquoise crystal beads from Bearwood’s own Bead Savvy onto stretch elastic and job’s a good un! Have sourced some slightly more boyish beads too for the male friendly variety. And relax and sip your cider at the festival…..just wait for the inevitable call!